Oliver was the love of my life for two months. He was my 3 1/2 month old Chocolate Labradoodle who died from chewing on a tube of Fluorouracil.
This medication is applied to spots on your arms and legs where pets tend to come into contact. There is NO WARNING on the box or on the tube other than the typical child warning. Since pets lick legs, it stands to reason that it should not be lethal to pets--- BUT IT IS!
Many women in Florida are seniors who have sun damage on their skin. Many of them use this product or the products below to gradually remove raised patches on the skin known as keritosis.
According to WIKIPEDIA: Fluorouracil or 5-FU (trademarked as Adrucil (IV), Carac (topical), Efudex (topical) is a drug that is a pyrimidine analog which is used in the treatment of cancer.
DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!
TREAT THIS PRODUCT AS IF IT IS POISON!
EVEN IF YOUR PET JUST BITES INTO
DO THIS AT ONCE:
WITHIN THE FIRST HOUR:
Immediately induce VOMITING with Hydrogen Peroxide--according to veterinarians. Do not give stomach relief products such as Peptobismol. See instructions below. Then drive directly to the Veterinarian or a Veterinarian Emergency Clinic if it is on the weekend or after hours.
OVER AN HOUR:
Immediately go to a Veterinarian or Emergency Veterinarian on the weekend.
THE VET MUST: (They are not typically knowledgeable about this drug.)
Give your pet activated charcoal (Endosorb) to absorb the poison.
Give phenobarbitol to slow down the seisures which will start after five hours.
Give a much stronger drug if necessary to attempt to keep the seisures from causing a heart attack.
The only substance you use at home to make your pet throw up is hydrogen peroxide.
The three percent hydrogen peroxide – the kind you purchase at any pharmacy. Do not use the stronger, concentrated peroxide found in hair color, use only the three percent kind.
The dose is one teaspoon (five milliliters, or cc's) for every 10 pounds of body weight.
The hydrogen peroxide must be given orally to your pet. If necessary to make it palatable, feed it with ice cream or honey.
After you get the hydrogen peroxide down, you should walk him/her around for a few minutes to get her moving, which will help the hydrogen peroxide do its work.
Hydrogen peroxide is an irritant to the gastrointestinal tract, so it typically induces vomiting of stomach contents within 15 minutes of use. If your pet doesn't vomit within 15 minutes, you can give him a second dose.
If you lost a pet to this product, you can share your grief with me. click here